500px Marketplace Contributor FAQ

UPDATE: We've recently communicated changes to Marketplace that go into effect June 30th, 2018. For more details regarding these changes and how they may affect you, please visit our Marketplace Transition FAQ.

After I submit, will my photos be immediately available for sale?

No. All photo submissions to the Marketplace are reviewed by our experienced editors, so your submissions will not be visible to buyers until they have been reviewed and approved for licensing. 

Why do my photos need to be reviewed and how long does it take?

Our content editors review all submissions and take several factors into consideration including quality, aesthetics, buyer feedback, and most importantly, commercial saleability. Although we make every effort get your photos added quickly, it can take some time for our editors to ingest images to Marketplace, as they work in the order that the photos are submitted. 

Once the review process is complete, your photos will appear in the Marketplace folder of your photo manager under one of the following sections: 

Core Collection - Photos in this section have been approved and added to our core collection!

Prime Collection - Photos in this section have been approved and also hand-picked by our editors for our Prime Collection

Changes Required - Any photos in this section require changes in order to be approved for the Marketplace. For more information on where to find details related to changes required, click here

Declined - Photos in this section have been declined from the marketplace for not meeting the requirements mentioned above. 

How much does it cost to sell photos on the 500px Marketplace?

Zero! Nothing! Zip! It's totally free to contribute your photos to the 500px Marketplace, and you earn 60% of net sales on images you've submitted exclusively to our Marketplace. All 500px membership levels can contribute; Free, Plus and Awesome.

How will I get paid?

Check out this guide to getting paid and tracking your sales. 

What is the difference between Exclusive and non-Exclusive licenses?

Exclusive licensing means that only 500px can license the image commercially and you have never licensed this content commercially before. ​Non-Exclusive licensing means you can sell your image to other commercial licensing vendors, or to other commercial buyers or you have licensed it commercially in the past.

The photographer will always receive 60% share of net sales on exclusive photos. You can still use your licensed photos for selling fine art prints, self-promotion and for your portfolio.

Which license is better for the Photographer?

licensing provides a greater revenue opportunity for the Photographer and exclusive content will be featured more often by 500px. Exclusive content means only 500px can license this photo and you cannot license this photo to any other agency or make it commercially available to anyone else.

An exclusive image can be potentially licensed for "Exclusive Use", for a set period of time, for several thousand dollars in most cases. If a photo is licensed for this special "Exclusive Use" license, it can not be sold commercially during the time period negotiated. Our standard license allows you to license photos multiple times to different clients. The photographer will earn 60% share of net sales for exclusively submitting their photos to our Marketplace. 

Non-exclusive Licensing is meant for photos that have been licensed in the past, or you want to make available for commercial licensing through other vendors or agencies. Submitting these photos will earn the photographer 30% net of any non-exclusive license purchased.

​Why do I need a release form and what for?

​To determine whether you require a release or not, click here.

Anyone wishing to purchase an image license on the 500px Marketplace must agree with the Commercial Licensing Agreement. This agreement outlines the legal requirements and limitations of the license options available at 500px.

​In order to protect both the Photographer who is licensing their photos and the buyers who are purchasing the licensed photos, we require that at minimum, all Photographers must read and accept the Contributor License Agreement.

For Photos that have a person or persons that can be recognized within the photo, we must have a Model Release for each recognizable person in your photo. If you cannot obtain a signed Model Release, we can still use the Photo within our Editorial section of the Marketplace (editorial photos can be sold for use in journalism only, but not commercially). For models under the age of 18, we require that a parent or guardian sign the model release form. You can download the Model Release Form here.

​For Photos that were taken in a known establishment or recognizable location, we may also require a Property Release Form (aka Location Release) that demonstrates you have the agreement from the owner(s) to use their location in your photograph for commercial use. You can download the Property Release Form (aka Location Release) here.

​What if my Model is under 18 years of age?

For models under the age of 18, we require that a parent or guardian sign the model release form. Please print both the Child and Parent/Guardian name at the top of the form.

What if my Photo is a Self-Portrait?

​Even if your photo is a self-portrait, you will need to sign a Model Release form and just state on the form that this is a self-portrait.

What is a Medium (formerly known as Web-Ready) or a X-Large (formerly known as Print-Ready) License?

With these licenses once the photo is licensed by the buyer, they can use it as many times as they want and they do not incur any added costs. Medium (formerly known as Web-Ready) photos are available at 72dpi (1800px on the longest edge). X-Large (formerly known as Print-Ready) photos are available at 300dpi (and minimum 3000px on the longest edge).

How do the taxes work? Do I have to pay them? What if I don't live in the U.S?

Click here for more information on taxes.

How will I know if my photo sells?

You will be notified by email, and you can track your sales at 500px.com/settings/store.

Have more questions? Ask us!